Sunday, March 28, 2010

Unshackled Worship

I have found myself in a place of no return. My southern Baptist upbringing has been changed and I am no longer afraid to raise my hand to the Lord. I don’t feel that I will be smitten because I have done this evil thing before the Lord. I never really understood in the churches of today that it's a sin to lift your hands to the Lord and give Him glory with your feet. We see time and time again in the Holy Word that His people danced before Him. King David is a prime example in 2 Samuel 6:14-15 (AMP) "And David danced before the Lord with all his might, clad in a linen ephod [a priest’s upper garment]. So David and all the house of Israel brought up the ark of the Lord with shouting and with the sound of the trumpet." There were even instances where the Lord Himself dined with His people and they were able to give praise to Him. It would blow my mind to see the King of Kings sitting at the table where I ate at, dining with me. What would happen if God Almighty were to come up to you and want you to converse with Him? The 19th century Scottish Essayist, Thomas Carlye wrote "Worship is transcendent wonder. Wonder for which there is no limit or measure; that is worship." It totally blows my mind to think that God, the ruler of Heaven and earth, wants a relationship with His creation. From the beginning, in the garden, He walked and talked with Adam. I often wonder what their first conversation was. "Man, God, I feel like dirt." Adam was a blessed man. Today, we take God for granted. We take for granted that we can just talk to Him whenever we want, mostly, it is when we are in a deep pit. I want to give worship to Him without wondering what the person next to me is going to think or is going to say. What would happen if we went into a holy spirit filled dance before the King of Kings? What is going to happen to those who thought that praising God with their feet was wrong when they get to heaven and people are throwing down their crowns? I love watching our worship leader in our church, Neal Adams, because he's always loving God with the praises of his voice and his heart. He's always encouraging the church to come before God in worship. Recently, he spoke about how worship wins the war. The simple prayer of the name of Jesus makes the demons in hell flee and tremble. Romans 14:11 (KJV) says " For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God." How profound is it that no matter where we are, we can bow before the Lord in worship. Psalms 150:6 (AMP) says " Let everything that has breath and every breath of life praise the Lord! Praise the Lord! (Hallelujah!)" Glory to God! My prayer is that God will unshackle these old religious feet and let them be free! I don't want to worry about who is standing behind me or watching. I don't want to think about who is looking at all the people acting like they have lost their minds, which is another teaching that you will see soon. I can not wait until we get to Heaven and there will be angels singing "Holy! Holy! Holy is the Lord God Almighty! Who was, and is, and is to come!" Today, my hope is that you will become unshackled in praise! I hope that you will become unshackled in worship! Become like King David and dance before the Lord, preferably with your clothes on.

No comments: